Thursday, June 23, 2011

Beach Combing

As we've gotten to know our little island we've discovered that different  beaches offer different treasures.We love to look around at the beach and see what we can find. It seems there is always something interesting.

A short hike down the cliff is our favorite beach (so far) for shells. This beach is called Survivor Beach! I think it is because you are thankful you survived the hike down the cliff. Of course, there is always the hike back up! We have found some amazing shells here. On one trip Sammy, Bethany and I were playing in a tide pool and  there were so many shells. What was even more amazing was that they were all perfect. It was like someone came and just dropped them all  there for us to find. We were quickly filling our bags and within minutes we started becoming a little more particular about what we actually put in our bag. As we were searching we were talking about how shocked the others would be when they saw all we had found.



Our treasures

While we were beach combing, Steve went snorkeling with Stevie and Bobby.  They weren't sure how long they would stay in the water because it was a bit rough. I don't think it had been 15 minutes when Bobby came running towards us yelling. I thought for sure someone was hurt and started heading in his direction. Then I saw he had something in his hand...a big something. I also noticed the big grin on his face.  He had found a conch shell which put our perfect shells to shame.





Bobby's find





We have made numerous trips to Survivor and seem to always find something interesting. On another trip my husband found a broken oar and this too  found  its way to our house. It wasn't long before it was transformed into something new.



The beauty of this piece is that we all found something glued to the oar. I just wish Steve had warned me that he was gluing on the crab. The piece had to spend some time in the garage to make sure the smell was gone before it entered our house.

When I look at all the shells and how they are all so unique I'm amazed. It shows me God's creativity. How He cares even about the smallest details of nature. If He cares so much for these things you know His love for us is far greater.

So, now the kids and I have a new project this summer. We want to look for driftwood or bamboo and see what new things we can create with all our shells and sea glass. Oh, I forgot to mention sea glass....I'll have to save that for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment