Friday, July 1, 2011

Salt Water Therapy

Last night before going to bed I lost my voice. So when I woke this morning I had second thoughts about spending the morning at the beach. Knowing the kids were excited about taking the kayak out, I put on my big girl panties and off we went.



When we arrived at the beach there were a total of 12 people including my family of 6. It was so peaceful I couldn't help but immediately feel better. My voice didn't come back above a whisper but my spirit soared.

Steve and Stevie were the first to head out on the kayak. This was one of those teaching opportunities because there is nothing like having a teenager trapped in a kayak, on the ocean who has no choice but to listen. Actually, it was a great time for both of them. They went farther than I would dare go or if they had one of the younger children.  

One of the things we stress to our older boys is to guard their hearts. We encourage them to have female friends but we don't allow them to have a girlfriend. I know this may seem old fashioned but honestly, how many relationships make it through the teenage years? I know there are a few but those are the exception not the norm; and if you're one of those exceptions congratulations!!!  So while they were on the water, without any younger siblings to torment, Steve stressed the importance of  having a relationship with God and  being friends first as the foundation of  any long term relationship.  My prayer is that all my kids marry their best friends and have long, healthy, happy marriages.


After they returned I went out with our middle son, Bobby. This was an adventure since he couldn't hear a word I was saying. Bobby is naturally patient (except maybe with his younger brother) and we work well together. I love having that one on one time with the kids even when I can't talk. This gave him an opportunity to lead the kayak as well as our discussions. He was able, without interruptions, to tell me all the things he has recently created  with his Legos and what he plans to build in the future.  While we enjoyed our time together, the only thing that would have made the trip better is if we had seen the sea turtle that usually hangs out in that area.

The final trip was with Steve and the younger two. They have been dying to tip the kayak and since I'm usually with one or both they haven't been able to do it. Of course, my husband being the biggest kid couldn't wait. So with everyone wearing life vests they tipped the kayak. I think that was the highlight of the trip for Bethany. Sammy's favorite part was being dragged back to shore behind the kayak and Bethany had her first opportunity to paddle. 



We left the beach feeling ready to take on the day feeling blessed and rejuvenated.  Unfortunately, the roofers are here and are now drilling on the concrete roof/house. I think it is time to head back to the beach!

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice little story, Becky! Wish we could go kayaking! Have fun at the beach, it has been so long since we have went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and love the pics! Hey, send me your address. Noah wrote a letter to Bethany. He just asked out of the blue if I would help him do it. He wants her to move back to CA!

    ReplyDelete